Word from the Beat Writers:
- It appears that 70,000 fans in Montreal won’t be able to see Alex Ovechkin play at Olympic Stadium as Tarik El-Bashir is reporting that the deal is dead. This is also being reported on Habs Inside/Out so it would appear unlikely that this game will happen, at least this season. While it is a shame that they won’t be playing the game, how many ‘unique’ style games can be played before the magic starts to wear out and it just becomes a cash grab to increase the crowd by triple?
- Looks like despite statements to the contrary, Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro has yet to resume skating. They will be able to rely on Roloson until DiPietro is healthy enough to play.
- Over at Inside the Kings they take a look at Anze Kopitar. He turns 22 today and has loads of talent. If the Kings continue to slowly draft well they might look good in a few more years.
- Chip Alexander over at Canes Now opens up the floor to hear opinions on what Carolina should do about Anton Babchuk. Not much can be done at this point. Carolina has made an offer and if he refuses you cannot cave to these types of negotiations.
- John Glennon of the Tennessean examines which NHL team has the best four core defenceman. Lots of good teams up for this honour although the Flames appears to be the winners.
- The Dallas Stars look to be in good shape as Mike Heika is reporting that Morrow and Robidas are ready for camp. Perhaps with the lowered expectations the Stars might surprise quite a few people this season althoug this continues to rest with the play of goalie Marty Turco.