With the 2021 NHL Draft set to kickoff with the 1st round on Friday night, Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff spoke today ahead of the big event.
Prior to the presser getting underway the team released a statement on his behalf regarding the allegations concerning Brad Aldrich in Chicago as follows:
“I had no knowledge of any allegations involving Mr. Aldrich until asked if I was aware of anything just prior to the conclusion of his employment with the Chicago Blackhawks. After confirming that I had no prior knowledge of anything, I had no further involvement. As this is a legal matter before the courts, I will not be making any further comment; however, to the extent I am contacted by investigators in this matter, I will cooperate to the best of my ability and knowledge.”
The presser got underway shortly thereafter:
1. Reflecting on the Mason Appleton selection by Seattle in Expansion.
2. Where would Appleton’s replacement come from?
3. Process in deciding on his protected list.
4. When did he learn about the allegations in Chicago?
5. His thoughts on the schedule (and the NHL not using the baseball style next year)
6. How would he describe the depth of players available to the Jets in the first round?
7. How many defenceman is he looking to add?
8. How difficult is to lose a player like Mason Appleton?
9. At what point in the draft will it get “muddled”?
10. General sense of negotiations with Copp and Pionk?
11. Is the door still open with any UFAs?
12. Is there a priority to add a right-shot defenceman?
13. Is there a sense of urgency given the Jets window?
14. The uncertainty regarding Bryan Little.
15. About the AHL being an option for Cole Perfetti?
16. His thoughts on the Jets schedule.
17. Is this the kind of draft where there is more opportunity?
18. Trades to help augment their team.