Dale Tallon Firing
- When asked about signing an extension a little while ago, Dale Tallon didn’t seem too concerned about getting something done quicky.
- Tim Sassone has more on the firing, including the belief that Dale Tallon’s qualifying offer mistake played a big factor in his dismissal.
- The firing is somewhat surprising considering the team’s successful season in 2008/09.
Jacques Lemaire Hiring
- Larry Brooks thinks that the Devils’ hiring of Jacques Lemaire is a step backwards for the organization.
- Lou Lamoriello obviously disagrees with Brooks and thinks Lemaire is the right coach for this team.
- Lemaire’s hiring came along with a number of other former Devils players joining the Devils organization.
- Zach Parise cites Marian Gaborik’s offensive numbers when arguing that he doesn’t think Lemaire’s system will hold him back.
- “I never did close the door on coaching. I said my time in Minnesota is over,” said Lemaire.
- The Ducks have signed James Wisniewski to a one-year contract.
- Adding some depth to the roster, the Thrashers have signed Anthony Stewart and Noah Welch to contracts.
- The Hurricanes maintain interest in defenseman Dennis Seidenberg, writes Chip Alexander.
- The Stars have re-signed Aaron Gagnon to a one-year deal.
- The Panthers are interested in signing free agent forward Alex Tanguay.
- The Predators have re-signed Nolan Yonkman to a one-year contract.
- The Rangers have signed Ryan Callahan to two-year pact worth $4.6 million.
- The Capitals have re-signed Boyd Gordon to a one-year contract, worth less than $1 million.
- The Thrashers have high expectations for prospect Jeremy Morin.
- Grand Rapids Griffins coach Curt Fraser says that three Red Wings prospects have stood out so far at camp.
- John Tavares always wants to improve his game, so he will be able to get to the next level.
- Talk about an improbable road for Flyers prospect Rocco Carzo, writes Frank Seravalli.
- Bringing all the team’s prospects together is a great thing, says Wilkes-Barre Scranton coach Todd Reirden.
- Steven Stamkos was around the Lightning’s development camp last weekend and people were surprised with how much muscle he’s put on.
- It is fair to say the Capitals are loaded with prospects between the pipes.
- Gary Bettman has demanded a $10 million payment by Lightning owner Len Barrie by Friday to have the Lightning ownership situation remain status quo, writes Damian Cristodero.
- Sticking with Bettman, if the economy is bad, he hasn’t noticed, as the commissioner’s salary has actually increased.
- The NHL has finalized the Winter Classic location, as the Bruins and Flyers will play each other on New Year’s Day at Fenway Park.
- The Habs could be hosting an outdoor game at Olympic Stadium against Alexander Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals next season.
- Due to the economy, the Blue Jackets have put some cheap upper deck tickets on sale as season tickets.
- Even after losing some players this off-season, the Wings lack the obvious weakness that many other teams do, writes Helene St. James.
- The Oilers have announced the team’s pre-season schedule.
- The Ranges have traded Lauri Korpikoski to Phoenix for Enver Lisin. After the deal, Larry Brooks expressed his lack of belief in the Rangers when they tout their top prospects.
- Judge Baum has rejected Jerry Moyes’s request for a Jerry Reinsdorf deposition. “It’s the Phoenix Coyotes until somebody says otherwise,” said Judge Baum.
- Moose coach Scott Arniel has really good things to say about Canucks prospect Cody Hodgson.
- Speaking of Arniel, Tim Campbell has more details on his contract extension.