Here are the morning papers for Sunday the 17th of August:
- According to Larry Brooks of the NY Post, Mats Sundin wants to play for the Rangers.
- New Islanders coach Scott Gordon has so many things in common with Peter Laviolette that it is borderline creepy.
- Wild GM Doug Risebrough and assistant GM Tom Lynn met for dinner with Marian Gaborik in Slovakia and tried to sell the speedy winger on the fact that Minnesota is a great place to play.
- James Dolan is not planning on selling the Knicks or the Rangers, writes Ken Berger of Newsday.
- Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney will be sidelined for at least three months with a foot injury, writes Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- Blue Jackets prospect Adam Pineault has a lot of respect for firefighters, writes Tom Reed of the Columbus Dispatch.
- Heading into training camp, the Bruins do not have too many open spots for their younger players, writes Kevin Paul Dupont.
- In Edmonton, Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal ponders 11 interesting questions regarding the 2008/09 Oilers.
For Illegal Curve, I’m Richard Pollock.