The Moose were back home for the first time since March 4th as they had been out on a seven-game road trip. Tonight’s game against the Heat marked the first of eight back at Bell MTS Place.
A number of players remain out of the lineup including Jack Roslovic, Michael Hutchinson, Eric Comrie (recall by Jets), Julian Melchiori (concussion), Brendan Lemieux (cut by skate), Mike Sgarbossa (unknown) and Jansen Harkins (illness).
– The Moose controlled play for the most part in the opening frame but aside from some posts no scoring;
– JC Lipon and Ryan Lomberg dropped the gloves early in this one;
– Heat lost two defenceman to injury although they got one back;
– Manitoba held a 12-3 shot edge after 20 minutes.
– Quick start and good pressure by the Moose led to Jan Kostalek scoring the opening goal of the game;
– Assists to Cormier and Appleton;
– JC Lipon chased down a chance, put the shot on net which Gillies saved but put off his Dman and in;
– Nic Petan off a perfect set up by Appleton shorthanded gave the Moose a 3-0 lead;
– Assists to Appleton (obviously) and Schilling.
– Shots were even this period at 11 which means the Moose were up 23-14 after 40 minutes.
– Not really much doing in the final frame;
– Moose controlled play early in the period for long stretches in the Heat zone;
– Eventually the Heat started to apply some pressure;
– They did get one goal late in the 3rd to break up Phillips shutout bid but it was too little too late;
– Buddy Robinson’s 25th goal of the season into the empty net sealed the deal
– Shots favoured the visitors 8-7 in the final frame and ended 30-22 for Manitoba.
– Mason Appleton got his 39th assist of the season which is a new Moose rookie record;
– Appleton also picked up his 40th assist which leaves him one point shy of 60;
– JC Lipon set a new career high for goals as he scored his 15th of the year.
With the Wolves nipping at their heels in the standings the Moose handle the Heat (although its not warm in Winnipeg) with tonight’s 4-1 win over Stockton to improve to 39-19-4-4.
Saturday, March 24th at 7 pm against the Stockton Heat