Some news and notes from around the blogs:
- T.O. Sports: The NHL will not have an All Star game but does anyone care? I would disagree with the assertion that the NHL All Star game is the worst in Major sports. I think the NFL Pro Bowl is worse. Perhaps the NHL needs to go the way of the MLB and make the All Star game count towards something.
- From the Rink: The view in Phoenix from via Channel 12 News reporter Brahm Resnik. Very informed newsource and a really good read from someone’s whose been on the local Phoenix scene for the past ten years.
- Japers’ Rink: The “Wheres” and “Whos” of faceoffs. Breaking down the Capitals from a faceoff perspective.
- Lighthouse Hockey: Mark Streit wants to be the best defenseman in the NHL. Still has a way to go. While his point production isn’t what it used to be, I still think Nick Lidstrom, winner of six of the last 8 Norris trophies, is the model to be copied.
- Lightning Strikes: Evgeny Artyukhin sent to Ducks as Tampa Bay Lightning acquires Drew Miller and a third-round draft pick. Makes the Ducks bigger. But they need to remember that guys that are 6’5″ almost never become Top Ten scorers. Are we sure Brian Burke isn’t still running the team?
- In the Room: Boudreau says Theodore is still number one. Until he losses a couple in a row. Then its Semyon time. (new spelling apparently).
- Oilersnation: Hemsky turns 26 and the question is, is he ready for primetime? I would agree with the writer. This might have been the best selection by the Oilers scouts over the past twenty years.
- ESPN: College games to follow Winter Classic. That will be great. Both Boston College and Boston University participating after the Bruins/Flyers games should be great.
- Fantasy Hockey Scouts: Jay and the team at FHS asked a blogger from each of the 30 teams to pick two breakout players from their teams. Here is a list of the Northwest division. If your looking for fantasy players check this out.
- And for something completely different, trust ze Germans to perfect this trick:
But before you get too excited at the awesomeness that is this trick, be aware that it is just that, a trick.