The Jets are now 49-20-10 after tonight’s 6-5 win over the Senators in a “defensive gem” and they continue to increase this record breaking season now sitting with 108 points.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from tonight’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
– Just 2:42 into the 1st Andrew Copp got the party started after some good pressure by his line;
– Assists to Trouba and Tanev;
– 4th line again applied good pressure which set up Josh Morrissey to give them a 2-0 lead nine minutes later;
– Assists to Lowry and Copp;
– Just 26 seconds later Blake Wheeler scored on a goal although it seemed on Sens goalie recognized it;
– Assists to Scheifele and Connor:
– Jets lost Tyler Myers briefly after he blocked a shot but he returned shortly thereafter;
– Period ends with Jets up 3-1 with shots 13-11 for Winnipeg after 20 minutes.
– Early in this period the Sens struck on the power play to make it a 3-2 game;
– Home side had a lot of momentum and Jets captain Blake Wheeler took his second consecutive penalty;
– However it was shorthanded specialist Brandon Tanev who got the momentum back for Wpg to make it 4-2;
– The Sens again made it a one goal game when the Jets were a bit casual in their zone;
– Jets captain Blake Wheeler helped the team regain the two-goal lead on a nice pass by Scheifele;
– Period ends with Jets up 5-3 with shots even 13 apiece to Jets hold a 26-24 edge after 40 minutes.
– Jets got stymied on a 2 on 0 play and Sens turned it around to make it a one-goal game;
– Mathieu Perreault breaks his goalless drought at 19 when he scored on the PP to make it 6-4;
– Sens made it interesting when they scored late with two Jets in the box on a 6 on 3 (goalie pulled);
– Winnipeg held on for the 6-5 win with shots edge going to Jets 14-13 and overall 30-27.
– Blake Wheeler had two goals (21, 22), Jets captain one point shy of 90 on season;
– Andrew Copp had a goal (7) and assist (18), second straight game with a goal;
– Mark Scheifele had two assists (36, 37);
– Adam Lowry had two assists (11, 12);
– Both Josh Morrissey and Andrew Copp have scored in back-to-back games;
– With tonight’s goal Branon Tanev now has three shorthanded goals on the season of eight scored;
– Connor Hellebuyck is now 42-11-9 and tied Mike Richter for the second most wins in a season by a U.S. born goalie.
Coach Maurice: Happy to take the points and leave? Thoughts on the 4th line. On Mathieu Perreault getting rewarded with a goal. Getting secondary scoring. On resting guys. Status of Steve Mason?
Audio courtesy of TSN 1290 Winnipeg.
Tuesday, April 3rd at Montreal at 6:30 pm.