The Jets are now 41-18-10 with the 3-2 overtime loss to the Capitals in their fifth game of this six-game road trip.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from tonight’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
– Bryan Little and Matt Hendricks took early penalties to set up an early Capitals 5 on 3;
– Who else but Alex Ovechkin scored (his 41st of season and 599th of career) to make it 1-0;
– Shortly thereafter on a 4 on 4 Nikolaj Ehlers scored on a nice steal to tie the game;
– Shots were 14-8 for the Capitals after 20 minutes.
– Pretty even first couple of minutes but Jets couldn’t corral a loose puck and Ovechkin scored;
– It was his second goal of the game (42nd of the season) and 600th of his career;
– Shots were 13-10 that period in favour of Washington and
– Jets had some good pressure and wouldn’t you know it but Patrik Laine scored to tie the game;
– Assists to Stastny and Byfuglien;
– Matt Hendricks went to the Jets dressing room and did not return;
– Both teams played well but both goalies were up to the test;
– Shots were 10-9 for the Jets in the last period.
– Early in the extra frame Bryan Little called for slashing;
– Connor Hellebuyck was phenomenal with the Jets down a man making numerous high quality saves;
– Byfuglien tried to keep a puck in the Caps zone but Kuznetsov got it and scored to end it on breakaway;
– Caps are a perfect 7/7 in overtime while the Jets fall to just 2 wins and 8 losses in extra time.
– Nikolaj Ehlers scored his 27th goal of the year;
– Patrik Laine scored his 41st of the year;
– He is now the third highest scoring teenager (77 goals) passing Gretzky & Bellows;
– He has a 12 game points streak (16 goals and six assists);
– Paul Stastny has 2 goals and 6 assists in his seven games with the Jets;
–Connor Hellebuyck is now 35-11-9 on the season.
Coach Maurice: Assessment of the game. Thoughts on Laine/Ovechkin? On the early penalties against the Jets. Managing risk/reward element of overtime. Status of Matt Hendricks? On what Laine is doing right these days. Has Laine exceeded his expectations? Thoughts on tomorrow in Nashville.
Audio courtesy of TSN 1290 Winnipeg.
Jets centre Matt Hendricks left in the 3rd and didn’t return to the game. Coach Maurice didn’t have an update but indicated that he doesn’t have him as a player tomorrow in Nashville although he did qualify it by saying “right now”.