An inauspicious way to kick off 2020 for the Jets as they drop this one 6-3 to the Leafs. Winnipeg falls to 22-16-3 at the midway point of 2019-20 season. Must have felt like a home game for the Leafs as they had a HUGE crowd of fans in attendance.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from the game via Natural Stat Trick.
– Winnipegger Adam Brooks picked up his first NHL point on the first Leafs goal;
– Mason Marchment made NHL debut (his dad Bryan was drafted and played two seasons in Jets 1.0 organization);
– Kyle Connor remains hot as he scored his team leading 21st goal of the season
– Connor has seven goals in last 5 games;
– Mark Scheifele finished with 1G 1A;
– Scheifele has 10 points (7G 3A) in last six games;
– Patrik Laine had 1G (took 13 shots and had 17 attempts on net);
– Laine has eight points (4G 4A) in last six games;
– Connor Hellebuyck picked up his first assist of the season.
Coach Maurice: How does he assess this game? What did he think of Connor Hellebuyck? Is he happy with the chances they generated? On the first goal against. Patrik Laine with 13 shots, 17 attempts, what did he see from him? What did he see from Jansen Harkins that earned him a bump up to the 3rd line? Would he consider shifting his D pairings? Is it as simple as eliminate the giveaways? Is there a mental fatigue to the defencemen who are playing a role higher than they are used to? Is the power play trending in the right direction?
The Jets are scheduled to practice on Friday in Winnipeg before they head out to Minnesota for the first of four games on the road. You can kick start your day with the Morning Papers which go live tomorrow at 7 am on illegalcurve.com.