The Jets are 3/3 to start off this four-game home stand as they improve to 11-5-1 on the season thanks to a 3-1 win over the Capitals.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from tonight’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
– An atrocious opening period by the Jets who just had no steam to start this game;
– Caps outshot the Jets 10-2 and opened the scoring
– But the Caps learned you cannot give the Jets a PP as Scheifele tied it in the 2nd period
– Not much else happened aside from the Jets narrowing the Caps shot edge;
– 3rd period was tight as Byfuglien made the best save of the period bailing out his goalie;
– Ben Chiarot made it a one goal Jets lead when his shot deflected in past Pheonix Copley;
– Kyle Connor iced it with the empty netter.
– Mark Scheifele became first Jets player to hit double digit in goals (10);
– Blake Wheeler’s point streak hit 11 games (2G 18A) with his assist on Scheifele’s goal;
– via NHL PR “Wheeler is just the second player in @NHLJets / Thrashers franchise history to record a double-digit point streak on multiple occasions.”
Coach Maurice: On the Jets last 40 minutes. On Ben Chiarot getting the game winner. Was there too much respect given to the defending Stanley Cup champions in the 1st? On the Washington goal against in the 1st. Breaking down the Capitals goal in the 1st. On Hellebuyck during the PK. What kind of lift did the Lowry line have when Copp was put back with them? The impact Byfuglien/Chiarot had against the Ovechkin line. On the Jets ability to score so quickly on the PP.
Jets are scheduled to hit the ice at 12 pm on Thursday.