It was a bounce-back season for Jets 2017 5th rounder Leon Gawanke who was limited to one goal and six assists in 26 games during the 2020-21 season but this year hit new career highs in goals (10), assists (26) and points (36) in 65 games for Manitoba. He formed a dynamic tandem with 2018 5th rounder Declan Chisholm who was his D partner for almost every single Moose game.
Personally I thought the Jets made a mistake not giving him a game in the NHL although as he acknowledges below he had covid at a time when the team could have used a right side defenceman. I still thought they could have given him a game at the end of the year as next season he will not be waiver exempt and it will be interesting to see if they can sneak the Berlin product through to the Moose for the 2022-23 campaign. Of course lots can happen between now and training camp and you can hear in his media availability that he will be motivated to push for a spot with the big club in camp. However, the RFA will first need a new contract this summer before he gets back to Winnipeg.
1) Assessing the 2021-22 season.
2) His tandem with Declan Chisholm.
3) Is there extra motivation this offseason after not getting recalled to Jets this season?
4) His 2021-22 bounce-back effort after a disappointing 2020-21.
5) Why does he think he didn’t get recalled to the NHL this season?
6) How does he keep from letting it frustrate him?
7) Having his coach include him as part of the bright future of the D core.