With the 2020 NHL Draft set to kickoff on Tuesday night, Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff spoke today ahead of the big event.
1. Evaluating the 2020 draft and what does only having four selections mean for the way they draft?
2. How would he describe the player market right now?
3. How much interest is there in Patrik Laine?
4. Does he expect the Jets to be a team that spends to the salary cap?
5. Does he expect the rest of his UFAs to hit the market?
6. How clear is he to what the market (i.e. what players will command) will look like on Friday?
7. Can he piece together what the market can look like based on some of the signings of late?
8. What area is his primary focus right now in terms of needing to fix (centre or defence)?
9. Does he have an update on Bryan Little?
10. Are there any changes to preparation for a virtual draft?
11. Did he watch the NFL draft?
12. Is there a guy that they could draft at 10 that he feels could step into the Jets roster?
13. Is there an opportunity for the Jets to alter the direction of this franchise in the next 10 days?
14. Does he feel that they can add players that other teams can no longer afford?
15. Does this draft allow them to target a forward in the 10th spot?
16. Do these extra few months give them any more insight that they wouldn’t have if drafting in June?
17. What is the status of Kristian Vesalainen?
18. How has it gotten to this point with Patrik Laine?
19. Does an offer sheet interest him?
20. Is he expecting more volatility for the first round than normal?
21. Impact of Seattle expansion.
22. What is the clear value of moving up from the 12th spot up to 10th overall?
23. What made bringing Laurent Brossoit back such a good fit?