The NHL released the entire 2017-18 schedule today. It was announced yesterday that the Winnipeg Jets would open the season at home, on October 4th versus the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Here are some highlights and “interesting factoids” from the Winnipeg Jets 2017-18 schedule:
– Jets will make one visit to Las Vegas, on Friday, November 10th to face the Golden Knights. Vegas will play in Winnipeg twice, on Friday, December 1st and Thursday, February 1st.
– Jets will have an exceptionally long, ten game home-stand, from January 30 – February 20.
– Only 3 of the Jets opponents during the 10 game home-stand were playoff teams in 2016-17 (St. Louis, Washington, New York Rangers).
– Jets have 12 home games on Friday or Saturday night (plus 1 more Saturday afternoon home game), after a season in which many fans lamented the lack of Friday night/Saturday night home games.
– Jets have 9 Sunday home games.
– Including weekend afternoon games, over 50% of the Jets home games will be played on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
– Only twice all season do the Jets play consecutive road games versus Central Division opponents (Jan 12 @ CHI, Jan 13 @ MIN & Feb 23 @ STL, Feb 24 @ DAL).
– Jets play a “Black Friday” (day after U.S. Thanksgiving) game in Anaheim, beginning at 3:00pm CT.
– Jets play two Saturday games that start at 12 Noon CT (Sat, Dec 23 @ NYI & Sat, Mar 10 @ PHI).
– Fun doubleheader on Saturday, October 14: BC Lions @ Blue Bombers (3:00pm), Hurricanes @ Jets (6:10pm)
– In addition to the “break-week” (Jan 14-19), Jets have 5 days off between games from Saturday, October 21 – Wednesday, October 25 (play on Friday, October 20 v. MIN & Thursday, October 26 @ PIT).
Back to back #1: @ PIT (Thurs, Oct 26), @ CBJ (Fri, Oct 27)
Back to back #2: @ VGK (Fri, Nov 10), @ ARZ (Sat, Oct 11)
Back to back #3: @ ANA (Fri, Nov 24), @ SJS (Sat, Nov 25)
Back to back #4: @ STL (Sat, Dec 16), v. STL (Sun, Dec 17)
Back to back #5: @ CHI (Fri, Jan 12), @ MIN (Sat, Jan 13)
Back to back #6: @ CGY (Sat, Jan 20), v. VAN (Sun, Jan 21)
Back to back #7: @ STL (Fri, Feb 23), @ DAL (Sat, Feb 24)
Back to back #8: @ WSH (Mon, Mar 12), @ NSH (Tues, Mar 13)
Back to back #9: @ OTT (Mon, Apr 2), @ MTL (Tues, Apr 3)
Realistic Winnipeg Jets/NFL Road Trips
1. Seahawks @ Cardinals (Thurs, Nov 9), Jets @ VGK (Fri, Nov 10), Jets @ ARZ (Sat, Nov 11)
2. Jets @ SJ Sharks (Sat, Nov 25), Seahawks @ 49ers (Sun, Nov 26)
3. Jets @ Lightning (Sat, Dec 9), Lions @ Buccaneers (Sun, Dec 10)
4. Jets @ Islanders (Sat, Dec 23), Chargers @ NY Jets (Sun, Dec 24)
5. Chiefs @ Broncos (Sun, Dec 31), Jets @ Avalanche (Tues, Jan 2)
6. (Pending) If the Vikings were to win their division, and earn a bye, they would host a NFL playoff game on either Saturday, January 13 or Sunday, January 14. Jets play @ MIN on Saturday, January 13
All in all, the Winnipeg Jets should be very satisfied with the schedule, as laid out by the NHL. A very reasonable number of “back to back” games with nine. An almost unheard of 10 game home-stand, and a season long road trip of only 6 games, followed immediately by another 6 game home-stand. There is no guarantee that the Jets will be a playoff team in 2017-18, but the schedule, as laid out today, should definitely not be used as an excuse for any poor performances this season.
Latest posts by Drew Mindell (see all)
- Elliotte Friedman: Winnipeg Jets Dustin Byfuglien situation is “Emotional, Heated, and it’s likely going to Arbitration” - November 2, 2019
- Winnipeg Jets Morning Papers - July 22, 2019
- Winnipeg Jets sign RFA Neal Pionk to a two-year deal - July 21, 2019