What team beat writers are saying early this afternoon:
- Ryan Getzlaf has sure performed well in front of the people that will be deciding his Olympic fate this season. Getzlaf has been a tremendous force this season and already has Stanley Cup experience. I’d say he’s a total lock for 2010.
- Jason Williams says he enjoyed the city and fans in Atlanta but is excited about the trade to Columbus. Fans? I think I saw 14 in the stands watching Atlanta lose to Ottawa last night (and two of those were Gord Miller and Pierre McGuire).
- Mike Babcock is giving the Wings more time off this season to ensure there is no Stanley Cup hangover. He is arguably the smartest coach in the NHL.
- Rick Nash is back at Blue Jackets practice and looking good, writes Aaron Portzline. Good news for Jackets fans, as there is only so much the team can rely on 18 year old Nikita Filatov.
- Alexei Kovalev is doubtful for tonight’s game againt Nashville with the flu. Considering it takes three goals to beat Nashville these days, I wouldn’t risk Kovalev tonight.
- The Islanders have agreed to play an exhibition game in Kansas City. I mean the NHL needs to end up in the hockey hotbed of Kansas City…
- Brendan Shanahan has joined the Devils in Columbus. John MacLean, Pat Verbeek and Bobby Carpenter apparently weren’t available.
- Don’t add Daniel Alfredsson on Twitter, it is fake. He has nothing on fake Shaq.
- The Lightning have recalled Steve Downie. Suspension coming in…