What team beat writers are saying this afternoon:
- Dan Wood of the Orange County Register talks about the numerous Ducks who are currently rehabbing from off-season surgery. I expect most, if not all, of these players to be ready for opening night.
- Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star-Trubune says he’d pass on Nikolai Zherdev if he were Chuck Fletcher. The last thing a rookie NHL head coach needs on his team is Nikolai Zherdev. Tomorrow afternoon, I will be posting the five most likely landing spots for Zherdev.
- Chris Drury says the response to the Rangers’ Donald Brashear signing was blown out of proportion by the media. Regardless of that fact, how did Brashear’s agent secure a deal that pays him $1.4 million per season?
- The Lightning is still interested in Alex Tanguay. Playing for the Lightning would be a heck of a lot less pressure than Tanguay has faced in his last two stops–Montreal and Calgary.
- The Red Wings have signed Jason Williams to a one-year contract. A good move by the Wings, as Williams is a right-handed shot that can play the point on the power play and contribute in similar ways (offensively) to the recently departed Mikael Samuelsson.