What team beat writers are saying this afternoon:
- Could both Tim Thomas and Phil Kessel be invited to the Team USA Olympic camp in August. It will be interesting to see who starts for Team USA in 2010. Right now, that has to be between Ryan Miller and Tim Thomas.
- We know Brent Sutter is going to be named coach of the Calgary Flames today, but who will be his assistants? Quite a staff the Flames are putting together there. A good combination of experience and youth.
- Could the Canes take Brent Ashton’s kid with their first round pick? He’s got good size and skill and certainly wouldn’t be a bad selection for Carolina.
- If you missed it yesterday, Patrick Kane is going to be on the cover of NHL 2010. The game is trying to promote its young stars, and this is a good way.
- Adrian Dater is taking notice that Bob McKenzie thinks the Isles are taking Victor Hedman number one overall. I respectfully disagree with McKenzie here. I think Tavares goes one, Hedman two and Duchene three.
- Chris Chelios wants to keep playing. More power to him. I never understand why people get angry about a player prolonging his career. Let him do what he loves doing. It isn’t our place to tell him to hang up the skates.
- Steve Zipay provides readers with his mock draft. IC’s Mock Draft is going to be unveiled tomorrow night on the radio show.
- Apparently the Senators want to get rid of Jason Smith and Alex Picard. With Volchenkov, Phillips, Kuba, Campoli and young Karlsson on the way, the Senators are trying to clear some salary space and roster space on the back-end.
- Lightning goaltender Karri Ramo is apparently signing with the KHL. Mike Smith is a very good goaltender, but considering his concussion issues, this isn’t good news for the Bolts.