While the net is alive with storys about Heatley’s trade to San Jose here are some other stories cycling around the blogs:
- NHL Fanhouse: Six landing spots for Phil Kessel. With the Heatley deal done now, the speculation turns to the next most coveted free agent.
- Black Aces: The lessons to be learnt from the Heatley fiasco. Some very good analysis of the move and what the Senators will look like moving forward.
- The Bruins Blog: Chiarelli and Julien deliver their messages to players. And that message has to be that finishing first overall and making the playoffs isn’t sufficient anymore.
- Blueshirt Banter: Gaborik does not skate at opening day of training camp. No need to panic just yet but I bet there are fans in Minnesota who aren’t shocked by this news.
- Bleacher Report: Are you willing to Lose Brandon Dubinsky? Rangers writers and fans alike are big supporters if Dubinsky but it appears that Rangers GM Sather isn’t feeling the same.
- Hockey for the Ladies: Pens summer stick golf tournament. Wonder what Gonchar is going to go with that lucky leaf.
- Maple Leafs Hot Stove: Pics and pieces from Lakeshore during opening of Leafs training camp. More and more people are talking about the Leafs as a playoff team.
- Capitals Insider: Mike Green is feeling pretty good about this year. As he should be since it appears that most pundits (and Alex Ovechkin) are picking the Caps to be one of the teams in contention for Eastern Conference supremacy.
- The Hockey News: Lightning open training camp with goalie Mike Smith looking to rebound. No question if the Bolts are to have any hope of success, a large part of this will be based on the play of Smith.
- T.O. Sports: Coyote Ugly: An enlightening sample of yesterday’s hearing. There are some beauty quotes and would seem to show the level of animus the NHL feels towards Balsillie.
- Oilers Nation: Patrick Laforge, Northlands, and the New Arena. If you build it, they will come.
- All things Avs: A talk with the Avs new captain. A very solid pick for the Avs.
- Puck Rakers: The Blue Jackets have signed Derek Dorsett to a two-year contract extension. Jackets are shoring up the 4th line.
- Working the Corners: Cheechoo: “I’ve got to go to Ottawa and show them they didn’t make a wrong choice”. I think without expectations for him to be a 50 goal scorer, he will do well in the Ottawa system.
- Greatest Hockey Legends: Canucks vs. Islanders, a look back. Just a bit too long ago for me to remember, but Joe does a very good job of making it seem like it just happened.
James Gordon of the Ottawa Citizen snapped this photo of Dany Heatley as he left Scotiabank Place for the last time as as a Senator: