- Eric Duhatschek’s weekly must-read notebook. Of course just after the article is posted the Ducks beat the streaking Hawks 3-0.
- Kelly Hrudey agrees with Brian Burke that his son may be the target of some negative comments. Hrudey obviously thinks that is unfortunate but, as he says, everyone should show their support.
- Randy Turner of the Winnipeg Free Press had a terrific article this morning about the Brendan Burke story and how we may not be as past this issue as many are saying. As I’ve said on this site, I don’t know why this is as big of a story as it is but Turner raises some good points. Sometimes we think, myself included, that everyone should and is past the fact that someone is a homosexual. I personally don’t care what Burke’s kid sexuality is because whatever it is that shouldn’t matter. But as Turner says, when do you remember an NHL player coming out of the closet? What about while playing in the NHL? As he states, there is litle chance there hasn’t been a gay hockey player over the years. So, maybe we aren’t as far past this issue as some think. I just wish we were.
- Joe Pelletier calls Theo Fleury’s book the Hockey Book of the Year. That and Gretzky’s Tears have to be 1 and 2.
- Pierre LeBrun provides more background information on the Dany Heatley saga. I still think the lack of offers around the NHL says something about the perception most of the GMs have of Heatley, even with his tremendous goal scoring ability.
- Allan Muir says that the Thrashers fleeced the Leafs in the deal for Pavel Kubina. I think you have to take into account the signings that came along with that trade for the Leafs–but Kubina has played better than Komisarek did when he was healthy–so the point is well taken.
Nightly Hockey Hits: More reaction to the Brendan Burke story and did the Thrashers fleece the Leafs?
Some interesting stories to cap your night from all around the web.