Some news and notes from across the blogs:
- Puck Daddy: Not Atlanta, Atlant: Nikolai Zherdev expected to sign in KHL. With Zherdev possibly off the free agent market, it looks like Phil Kessel now reigns supreme.
- Mother Pucker: The NHL 2009/10 standings according to NHL 10. What is the point of playing when computers can predict the Finals participants. Although I’m fairly certain we won’t be seeing a Star/Rangers Stanley Cup.
- The Hockey News: Rooting for some training camp underdogs. I think a lot of people are pulling for Theo Fleury.
- Hitting the Post: Fletcher working hard to please the boss. Expectations are rising in Minnesota.
- Silver Seven: Are the Ottawa Senators this seasons biggest wildcard? I think they could be. They have a much more balanced attack and if Pascal Leclaire can find his form, the Sens are back in the playoffs and could be doing some damage.
- Maple Leaf Hot Stove: A monster scares Leafs Nation. That could have been bad.
- Japers’ Rink: A small change that could yield big results. The Caps hope that this small coaching change will be the shot in the arm the team needs.
- In the Room: Are the Tampa Bay Lightning this year’s team to watch? Things should be interesting in Florida this season.
- NHL Fanhouse: Rob Scuderi is all about change. Well one change he will notice being in L.A. is the temperature in January won’t be quite as balmy as Pittsburgh.
- Puck Rakers: Vermette signs for 5 years. General manager Scott Howson is placing a lot of faith in him.
- NHL Fanhouse: Chris Pronger doesn’t play for second place. With the Phillies victory last season, I don’t think people in Philadelphia are willing to settle for second.
- Faceoff: Do Sedin twins stand on edge of greatness? Greatness is bold. Should be an interesting season.
- Puck Daddy: Jersey fouls. The best I’ve ever seen was the Chelios 1/2 Hawk 1/2 Wings jersey at the Joe last season.
- Thrashers: Lehtonen expects to return soon. Good because if Atlanta wants to do well this season they are going to need him to be healthy.
- Oilers Nation: Picking the goat. I half expected them to pick yesterday’s hero.
Unrelated to hockey, I attended tonight’s Detroit Tigers vs. Kansas City Royals and saw something I had never seen in all my years of baseball attendance and have to admit that it spruced up an 11-1 Royals drubbing of the Tigers. Perhaps in blowout hockey games, the NHL could start incorporating this as a feature to excite the crowd. Without further adieu, I present to you the Comerica Streaker:
And there goes the Comerica streaker…….we hardly knew thee.