NHL Entry Draft
- If, as expected, the Avalanche select Matt Duchene on Friday night, the team’s fanbase should be very excited, writes Adrian Dater. Sure the team’s top pick will be important, but it is the work on the draft’s second day that Colorado will really need to improve upon.
- Who are the Canucks looking to draft?
- The Carolina Hurricanes are not expecting pending UFA Dennis Seidenberg to return to the franchise next season.
- Ken Holland has told Chris Chelios he won’t be offered a contract for next season. With Chelios leaving Detroit, Drew Sharp writes the fans’ adoration for the legendary defenseman.
- Pittsburgh is going to try its best to retain Rob Scuderi this off-season.
- Not surprisingly, Josh Harding of the Minnesota Wild is open to a trade.
- Brian Lawton does not expect to trade his second overall selection at this week’s Entry Draft.
- Similarly, on Long Island, Garth Snow does not expect to trade his number one pick.
- Could the Maple Leafs trade down at the Draft?
- Apparently Dany Heatley has given the Senators a list of teams he’d like to be traded to.
Hall of Fame Nominations
- Luc Robitaille would love to be inducted into the Hall of Fame today, but knows that this year’s crew involves some very tough competition.
- Apparently Brett Hull already knows he’s being inducted.
- Steve Yzerman is waiting patiently this afternoon to find out if he has made the Hall of Fame.
- Almost everyone expects Brian Leetch to be inducted into the Hall of Fame today, writes Steve Zipay. Larry Brooks, for one, agrees.
- The auction to purchase the Coyotes has been set for August 5.
- If the team is going to stay in Arizona long-term, it will will need more fan support.
- Jerry Reinsdorf has promised a bid on the club.
- With Reinsdorf’s bid upcoming, Jim Balsillie seems farther away from owning an NHL team than before this all started.
- In less than shocking news, Oren Koules and Len Barrie are headed for a messy divorce, explains John Romano.
- Mike Babcock is expected to be named head coach of the Canadian Men’s Olympic Team for 2010 sometime later this week. (Writer’s note: There isn’t a better man for the job out there.)
- Staying with Team Canada, expect Ken Hitchcock to be part of Team Canada’s coaching staff in 2010.
- In news that broke a few days ago, the Thrashers have named Rick Dudley associate GM.
- The Canadiens have made some big coaching changes at the AHL level.
- Boston University’s associate head coach, David Quinn, has been named new coach of Lake Erie in the AHL.
- Milt Northrop of the Buffalo News was able to interview Sabres GM Darcy Regier heading into Entry Draft weekend.
- There still won’t be any comments from Lou Lamoriello regarding Brent Sutter until the Flames make an announcment.
- Flyers defenseman Braydon Coburn underwent hip surgery on Monday.
- After leading his team to the Calder Cup championship, former Hershey Bears coach Bob Woods has been hired as an assistant coach for the Washington Capitals.
- Stephen Brunt of the Globe & Mail commends George Gillett on a job well done while he owned the Canadiens.
- Finally, John Shannon will be leaving the NHL at the end of the month.