Here are the morning papers for the Thursday the 28th of August:
- Even though it took Joe Sakic a while to decide to return to the Avalanche, he never considered going to play for another NHL team, writes Terry Frei of the Denver Post.
- With significantly more road games to start the season, the Oilers may find themselves in an early season hole, explains Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal. Meanwhile, the Oilers are raising money for a good cause.
- Apparently Mats Sundin may wait until during the 2008/09 season to make a decision on his return.
- The Ducks have signed Joakim Lindstrom to a one-year contract.
- Former NHL defenseman Eric Weinrich has joined Portland (AHL) as an assistant coach.
- If Peter Forsberg decides to return to the NHL, he probably won’t be able to play before Christmas.
- The Wings are bringing back Darren McCarty and Chris Chelios, but you can cross the Wings off the list of possible Mats Sundin destinations.
- In interesting news, the Flyers are considering adding another pre-season game at the Spectrum.
- The Sharks are ecstatic that they have signed Marc-Edouard Vlasic to a four-year contract extension, writes David Pollak of the San Jose Mercury News. In other Sharks news, the team has invited Jeff Friesen to tryout for the club.
For Illegal Curve, I’m Richard Pollock.