Here are the morning papers for Friday the 29th of August:
- Joe Sakic’s hernia problem last season factored into his decision making when it came time to decide whether he should return to the game for one more season, writes Terry Frei of the Denver Post. However, Sakic’s son Mitchell may have played the most important role in his dad’s decision.
- Apparently Mats Sundin is leaning towards retirement.
- Michael Russo tells us that the Wild has announced its roster for the team’s prospect camp.
- The Flyers have invited all of their former captains to the final night at the Spectrum, but Eric Lindros has yet to accept that invitation, writes Chuck Bausman.
- Vinny Lecavalier took a funny little tumble upon his return to the ice on Thursday.
- It remains a waiting game for the 20-some NHLers without a contract whose names even casual fans would recognize, writes Paul Hunter of the Toronto Star.
For Illegal Curve, I’m Richard Pollock.