It was an exciting afternoon at the MTS Centre as the NHL announced the 2016 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic to be played between the Winnipeg Jets and Edmonton Oilers at Investors Group Field on Sunday, October 23rd. In addition to the NHL game there will be an alumni game on Saturday, October 22nd.
If you missed any of the audio we have you covered:
Formal Introduction | Mark Chipman | Dale Hawerchuk
If you cannot listen to the audio here are some of the interesting tidbits that came out of today’s presser:
– Jets captain will be Dale Hawerchuk;
– Oilers captain will be Wayne Gretzky;
– Jets alumni: Bobby Hull. Anders Hedberg. Ulf Nilsson, Ab McDonald, Brian Mullen, Paul MacLean, Randy Carlyle, Dave Ellett, Dave Babych and Teemu Selanne (not all are confirmed but were mentioned by Dale Hawerchuk);
– Some Oilers alumni: Mark Messier, Paul Coffey, Dave Semenko, Jari Kurri, Blair MacDonald, Kelly Buchberger;
– Jerseys will likely be what was worn in the 80s.
– Capacity will be based on the usual Investors Group field configuration (33,500);
– Derek King, Jets ice maker, thought the game should be played in October;
– Ice will take a couple of weeks to get ready;
– Jets season ticket holders and suite holders will get first crack at tickets;
– Share partners and wait list folks come next in line for tickets;
– Jerseys haven’t been finalized. Teams will likely wear what they wore when they first came into existence.