The Jets are now 37-16-9 with the 5-3 win over the Stars. This gives Winnipeg 83 points on the season which ties them with Nashville (who have two games in hand) for 1st in the Central. They’ve picked up two big wins against the central in this back-to-back road trip.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from tonight’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
– It didn’t get off to a great start as the Stars scored 10 seconds into the game on their first shot of the night;
– Not much else happened in the first 20 minutes of this one;
– Jets out shot the Stars 12-11.
– Just 49 seconds in Nikolaj Ehlers followed Dustin Byfuglien in and blasted a drop pass to tie the game;
– Six minutes later the Jets took the lead with Tobias Enstrom’s first goal of the season;
– Enstrom had gone 87 games without scoring (last goal was November 3rd, 2016);
– The Jets got a power play shortly thereafter and Mark Scheifele scored his 19th to give the Jets a 3-1 lead;
– Blake Wheeler picked up the primary assist which keeps his points streak alive (now at eight games);
– Then Patrik Laine, who loves playing the Stars scored back-to-back goals (30 & 31) to give the Jets a 5-1 lead;
– Laine has scored in five straight games;
– Michael Hutchinson got his first ever NHL point picking up a secondary assist on Laine’s 3oth;
– Stars got one back late when Tyler Seguin put a perfect shot over Hutchinson with 32.5 left in the period;
– Both teams had nine shots.
– Not much happening in the final frame;
– The Stars tried to get back into it but for the most part the Jets limited their chances;
– Dallas out shot Winnipeg 16-5 in that final period;
– Radulov managed to beat Hutchinson with 46.8 seconds left but it was too little too late.
– Dustin Byfuglien had 3 assists (28, 29, 30);
– Patrik Laine had 2 goals (30, 31);
– Nikolaj Ehlers had 1 goal (24) and 2 assists (21, 22);
– Michael Hutchinson is 2-0-0 on the season.
Coach Maurice: Play of the team after giving up an early goal in the 1st period. Jets taking control in the middle frame. How nice was it to see Tobias Enstrom get his first goal of the season? Play of Dustin Byfuglien. Play of Michael Hutchinson. Is it fair to say that Byfuglien is more understated this season? Did he need to discuss anything with Byfuglien on adjusting when Trouba went down? On Patrik Laine’s success against the Dallas Stars. Going 2-0 on the weekend against central division opponents. Creating separation between themselves and the Stars/Blues. Status of Tyler Myers?
Audio courtesy of TSN 1290 Winnipeg.