The Jets could not keep the good times (from Vegas) rolling as they conclude the three-game road trip with a 4-1 loss to the Coyotes and fall to 37-21-4 on the season. Bigger loss may be Josh Morrissey who left the game in the 3rd period.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from tonight’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
Before the game began the Coyotes held an hour long ceremony for the raising to the rafters of Shane Doan’s number 19 uniform. Originally drafted in 1995 by the Winnipeg Jets 1.0 the longtime Coyotes captain played 21 seasons in the NHL. The ceremony led to a delay in puck drop by about 35 minutes.
– When you’re hot you’re hot and Patrik Laine opened the scoring on the PP to make it 1-0;
– Coyotes tied it up shortly thereafter on a delayed penalty call against Nikolaj Ehlers;
– The middle frame didn’t go well for Winnipeg as they had two goals scored against them;
– They also allowed a shorthanded 3 on 1 which ended with a goal being called off for Arizona with 6 seconds left in 2nd;
– Most significant event of 3rd period was Josh Morrissey looking like he injured his shoulder (he did not return);
– An empty net goal sealed the deal for the Coyotes.
– Blake Wheeler is the first player in Jets/Thrashers franchise history to record consecutive seasons with at least 60 assists as per NHL PR.
– After going goalless in 15 straight games Patrik Laine now has a two game goal streak (3 PP goals).
Coach Maurice: Assessing the game overall. Challenges the Coyotes forecheck presented.
All audio courtesy of TSN 1290 Winnipeg.
If you were hoping to learn good news about Josh Morrissey who left in the 3rd period the Jets bench boss didn’t have any insight to share according to Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun who indicated the coach didn’t have an update following the game.
The Jets will remain in Arizona and fly home on Monday. Of course with Monday being Trade Deadline at 2 pm CT you can expect things to be a weee bit crazy around here. Start your day with the AM Jets papers which go live at 7 am on illegalcurve.com.