The Jets improved their record to 32-16-2 on the season after a 4-3 shootout win over the Bruins in Boston thanks in large part to the goaltending of Connor Hellebuyck and Kyle Connor’s two goals in 34 seconds in the 3rd period (Connor also scored the shootout winner). The win moves the Jets into 1st place in the Central Division with two games in hand on 2nd place Nashville.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from tonight’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
– Josh Morrissey’s 1st period goal set a new career high for points;
– Mark Scheifele had the lone assist on Morrissey’s goal which means Scheifele has four straight seasons with 60+ points;
– Connor Hellebuyck was the only reason the game was close after 40 minutes;
– Kyle Connor scored two goals in 34 seconds to give the Jets a 3-2 lead;
– Brad Marchand tied it up for the Bruins with 8:21 left in the final frame;
– Connor Hellebuyk stopped all three shots in the shootout;
– Kyle Connor also was the only player to score in the shootout.
Coach Maurice: What did he think of this team’s response after 20 minutes? Everyone having a piece of that win. Play of Connor Hellebuyck. Was he surprised at how fast Boston came out to start the game? On a fight picking up the team. On the Jets top line striking in the 3rd.
All audio courtesy of TSN 1290 Winnipeg.
The Jets are heading back to Winnipeg as they get ready to kick off three straight games back in Manitoba starting with the Blue Jackets on Thursday night at Bell MTS Place. They are scheduled to practice on Wednesday out at the IcePlex at 12 noon. Start your day with the AM Jets papers which go live at 7 am on illegalcurve.com.