The Jets kicked off the home portion of 2019 with a big 5-1 win over Central Division rival Dallas to improve to 26-13-2 this season at the halfway point of the season.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from tonight’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
– Fairly ho hum opening period of hockey in downtown Winnipeg;
– Both teams had some chances but neither side could find the back of the net;
– Was scoreless after 20 minutes with the Jets holding a 13-9 shot edge;
– Stars were awarded an early 2nd period power play when Lowry hit Bishop behind the net;
– Radulov tipped home a Klingberg shot to give the visitors a 1-0 lead on the power play;
– One minute later Perreault did some heavy lifting, got a puck to Lowry who buried his own rebound to tie the game;
– With one minute to go in the middle frame Tyler Myers long reach helped as he wrapped it around to make it 2-1;
– 2nd period ends with the Jets up 2-1 but with the Stars holding a 23-18 shot edge;
– Jets opened the final frame with a goal from Kyle Connor who tossed the monkey off his back;
– With the Stars net empty Josh Morrissey scored shorthanded from behind the Jets goal line to make it 4-1;
– Bryan Little finished off a cross ice pass from Jack Roslovic with 18 seconds to go to make it 5-1.
– Mark Scheifele assist in the game means he hit the 50 point (22G 28A) mark for the fourth straight season;
– Josh Morrissey tied his career high in assists with 19;
– Tyler Myers fourth goal of the year snapped a 10 game goalless drought;
– Kyle Connor 14th goal was his first goal in 11 games;
– Connor Hellebuyck made 26 saves to improve to 18-12-1 this season.
Coach Maurice: Thoughts on what the Lowry line was able to do in the game. On the Lowry line responding with a goal after they were scored on with him in the box. On the first Stars goal. Limiting Dallas to four shots in the 3rd. Thoughts on Tyler Myers goal. How would he assess the first half of the season? How has the group handled expectations? On “quickness”. Jets power play. On Dallas stretching things out. What is he trying to accomplish with his team in the second half?
The Jets are scheduled to practice tomorrow at 11 AM at Bell MTS Place. Be sure to start your day with the AM papers at 7 am on illegalcurve.com.