An impressive victory by the Jets as they overcame their depleted defense, a goal by Sidney Crosby under a minute into the game to register a 4-1 victory in Pittsburgh, the first since 2006 when they were the Thrashers. Jets finish the opening four game road trip 2-2-0.
They get goals from Heinola, Ehlers, Poolman and Pionk. Three assists each for Scheifele and Laine. 37 saves for Connor Hellebuyck. A well-rounded effort to send the team home with a victory ahead of Thursday’s home opener.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from this afternoon’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
– Ville Heinola scored the first goal of his NHL career;
– Patrik Laine had three assists to give him 1G 5A through four games;
– Mark Scheifele also had three assists to give him 1G 5A through four games;
– Tucker Poolman scored his first goal of season (his first since the first of his career back on Dec 23, 2017);
– Connor Hellebuyck after giving up the first goal on the first shot made 37 straight saves for the win.
Coach Maurice: On how the Jets handled the Penguins scoring on their first shot of the game. On three goals coming from the defence. What does a night like this mean for Hellebuyck? Can he remember his last win in this city? On Ville Heinola scoring his first goal. How does 2-2 sound for the opening road trip? On Patrik Laine being good despite missing training camp. On the forward tracking back. Losing a goal on an offside challenge. On the shuffling of the D pairs. Does Josh Morrissey have a concussion?
With Josh Morrissey being held out of the game for precautionary reasons coach Maurice was asked after the game if it was due to a concussion. “No. He has not been diagnosed with a concussion. Correct.”
The Jets are off on Wednesday but will be back on the ice on Thursday as they prepare to kick off the home portion of the season with a game against the Wild.