The Jets with the comeback victory over the Rangers in New York thanks to the 4-3 shootout win which improves their record to 16-8-2.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from tonight’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
– The Jets pushed play in the opening frame but couldn’t crack Henrik Lundqvist’s armour;
– The Rangers opened the scoring after killing a Jets PP as Jesper Fast finished off a nice give & go;
– New York added two more goals in the middle frame despite Winnipeg having a big shot edge;
– It wasn’t looking good for the Jets but a PP goal by Scheifele from Wheeler got one back;
– Followed up by Jack Roslovic from long range to make it a one goal game;
– And then the speedy Nikolaj Ehlers gained the zone too a slap shot and Bryan Little tied it up late.
– Both teams had chances in OT but neither side could get one to go;
– The shootout saw Patrik Laine score to even things up in 2nd round and Mark Scheifele wins it in 3rd.
– Jacob Trouba had 2A (11, 12)
– Mark Scheifele had 1G (16) and has a five game points streak (5G 4A);
– Blake Wheeler had 1A (30) and also has a five game points streak(1G 8A);
From NHL PR:
Blake Wheeler became the first U.S.-born player in NHL history and the first skater in Jets/Thrashers franchise history to record 30 assists in 26 team games or fewer.
Coach Maurice: On the performance of Henrik Lundqvist. Proud of the perseverance of his team? Did he feel the boost after the first power play goal the Jets scored in the 3rd? Are they seeing what they expected to see from Jack Roslovic? Is there a correlation to Mason Appleton joining the 4th and its performance. On Connor Hellebuyck’s performance. On Mark Scheifele’s shooting. On the Jets taking Monday off.
All audio courtesy of TSN 1290 Winnipeg.
The Jets are off on Monday and will then face the Islanders in Brooklyn to conclude this three game road trip.