The Jets are 2-0 to start off this four-game home stand and improve to 10-5-1 on the season thanks to a 5-2 win over the Devils.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from tonight’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
– The Devils pressured early but Jack Roslovic opened the scoring;
– Mark Scheifele scored his eighth from (who else) Blake Wheeler to quickly make it 2-0;
– Devils held shot lead 13-11 after 20 minutes.
– Mark Scheifele got his second of the game (and team leading ninth of the season) to make it 3-1
– Dustin Byfuglien laid out Brian Boyle with a massive hit in the 2nd period;
– Nikolaj Ehlers fired home his fourth of the season to make it 4-2;
– Followed up by Mathieu Perreault finishing off a nice Kyle Connor pass to make it 5-2.
– Devils held shot lead 12-10 after middle frame for a 25-21 edge after 40.
– Final frame was predictably slow (4th line got some time which was good).
– Mark Scheifele with two goals on the night (8,9) and one assist (10);
– Blake Wheeler with two assists (19,20)
– Nikolaj Ehlers with one goal (4) one assist (4).
– Blake Wheeler became the first player with the relocated Jets franchise to hit 500 points;
– Blake Wheeler is currently the NHL assist leader with 20;
– Nikolaj Ehlers has scored in three consecutive games;
Coach Maurice: Thoughts on his top line. On the Jets 2nd period. Getting the 4th line into double digits in minutes and contributing. Scoring some goals last few games. Thoughts on the Byfuglien hit on Boyle. Did they change the penalty to Byfuglien? What can he say about Kyle Connor’s game? What Connor has been able to do away from the top line. More on the Byfuglien hit.
Mark Scheifele on Blake Wheeler’s 500 points with Jets since relocation: “He’s amazing. I say it everyday. I’m lucky to play with him. He’s a fantastic player and he’s a great friend. What makes him stand out is just how hard he works. Good things happen to guy’s who work hard and I’m definitely very lucky to play with him.”
Jets have the day off on Monday.