The Jets are in free fall right now having lost yesterday to the Islanders by a score of 4-0 but more importantly having lost four of their last five games. They slipped from a tie for 2nd in the Central to the first wild card spot and are just five points up on 9th place Flames. Of course they are also just three back of 1st place Dallas.
The expectation is that Nino Niederreiter, who was designated a non-roster player on Sunday, as he wasn’t able to make it to Winnipeg in time to play could be on the ice with his new teammates. Provided he has his VISA he should be available to play tomorrow against the Kings.
There is also a question mark surrounding the status of David Gustafsson who has been on IR since January 10th. He wore a regular uniform at the morning skate in New York last Wednesday but there hasn’t been an update with respect to him since.
The team announced that they have reassigned Axel Jonsson-Fjällby to the Moose.
Jets skate news:
Nino Niederreiter on the ice rocking his number 62. David Gustafsson also on the ice in a normal uniform.
No Mason Appleton today.
Not sure Jets head coach Rick Bowness will have a voice left for his media availability after today’s practice.
Lines and D pairs:
Player media availability:
Coach media availability:
1) What was behind all the barking/yelling today?
2) Has he had to tone down his public comments? (:37)
3) Has the accountability dipped during this stretch? (1:21)
4) Any concern with team’s inability to rise to his challenge? (3:02)
5) Theme as to why team starts off hot but then tails off (3:44)
6) Differences in habits from start of year to now (3:57)
7) Jets not executing his blueprint (5:21)
8) Is there some “cheat” in the game of his top players? (6:34)
9) Will he play Nino Niederreiter with 27 & 80? (7:20)
10) Health updates on Dubois, Appleton & Gustafsson? (8:06)
11) Did he see the accountability from his players today in practice? (8:44)
Some health updates from the bench boss as Pierre-Luc Dubois is dealing with a nagging lower-body issue which saw him leave practice early today. He’s a game-time decision. Mason Appleton is dealing with a upper-body injury and is “very doubtful” for the game tomorrow against the Kings. Rick Bowness also added that he wants to get David Gustafsson more work.
There is still one game left in February which means one more opportunity to enter and win the IC contest for authentic Jets merch. You can enter here.
The Jets play the Kings tomorrow. Be sure start your morning with the Morning Papers which go live at 7 AM, stick with us for news and then concluding with the Illegal Curve Post-Game Show.