Fans across Manitoba are tuning in extra early to watch the Teemu Selanne jersey retirement ceremony festivities. Local Winnipegger and friend of the Curve Jay Kilgour is at the game and sharing these images with us and we are sharing them with you. Enjoy.
Outside the Honda Center:
Little Teemu love on the outside of the arena:
The inside of the arena is set up for the ceremony.
The lights are out and the Teemu banners are lit up:
The dignitaries sitting on the podium:
– Former Winnipeg Jets 1.0 goalie Brian Hayward, who was a guest on yesterday’s Illegal Curve Hockey Show and is the current Ducks TV analyst who is also tonight’s Emcee is chatting about the exploits of Teemu.
– Next up we get some videos showing the many, many goals of the Finnish Flash. Jets fans watching at home and in the crowd have to love seeing him in the Jets jersey scoring #54. Chills.
The Ducks players line the path:
The man of the hour:
Brian Hayward now mentioning the hardware that Teemu has won in his career. Introduces the first speaker which is NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.
Bettman mentions being with Teemu in 1993 in Wpg as they commemorated breaking the rookie goal scoring record. Says it will never be broken.
A Finnish legend himself, Jari Kurri next up to speak about his countryman and friend. Of course opens up with a story about Teemu borrowing his car and showing his propensity for speed.
Goalie Jean-Sébastien Giguère is the third speaker. Speaks about the lessons he learned from being around Teemu. “Thought of him as the nicest person you ever met”.
-Another tribute video. For8ver Teemu which is narrated by George Parros. Great video. Ends video talking about the feeling he got when he raised the Stanley Cup above his head.
Finally the man himself. Teemu speaks:
– First thanks to his parents. “I can’t ever thank you enough for everything you have done for me”.
– Next thanks go to Finland. “I have always been very proud to play for Finnish national team.”
– My first stop in NHL was in Winnipeg. “I didn’t know too much about Wpg until I got there and I found out very soon what kind of city it is. There are two things; 1) Hockey 2) Great people. The way the fans in Wpg treated me…I’m speechless. There are no words”
– “One guy I would like to thank is my agent Don Baizley. There is one empty chair, that’s for Don Baizley. Unfortunately he passed away. But he was not only agent for me he was like a North American dad. All the help I got from Don I’m never gonna forget. What a great man.”
– He proceeds to thank the Avalanche and Sharks.
– Spends majority of time reflecting on time with the Ducks and his family.
And then the #8 was raised to the rafters:
And there it is in the rafters:
Here is the video of the jersey being raised to rafters:
Another classy move. Jets are wearing old school Jets 1.0 jerseys with Selanne on the namebar for warm-up:
In between the 1st and 2nd period Teemu spoke to the media:
Teemu Selanne – What does he hope his legacy will be? How would he describe his nerves? What was going through his mind watching his number being raised? On leaving a chair empty for Don Baizley. Trying to keep his emotions in check. Were there any moments that stuck out for him tonight? On the “one more year chant”. Has he signed his retirement papers? On the Winnipeg fans in the building. On Paul Kariya not being present. Now what? His off ice ventures. On the Finnish people back home.
Audio courtesy of TSN 1290 Winnipeg.