- The Devils can’t dwell on their loss to former teammate Scott Clemmensen, as they have the Philadelphia Flyers coming to town. Sometimes you read a story and it makes you feel old. Former Devil Viacheslav Fetisov playing a game for CSKA Moscow Friday at the age of 51, eleven years after he retired, but what caught my attention was that his coach is Sergei Nemchinov. (seems like just yesterday he was playing for the Rangers).
- Pittsburgh’s Jordan Staal says that the Penguins don’t worry about scoring the first goal of the game as they play a style of game he describes as “unflappable”. Star Evgeni Malkin is currently mired in a five- game goal drought which he attributes to passing too much. Coach Dan Bylsma said Friday that left wing Chris Kunitz “is getting close” to returning from a lower-body injury that has cost him 13 straight games.
- Might the Rangers look to the past to solve their present woes? Larry Brooks thinks the team should take a chance on former first round draft choice Dan Cloutier as a possible back-up to Henrik Lundqvist.
- Flyers’ backup goalie Brian Boucher has been in this position before (taking over for Nabokov in San Jose) and he relishes the opportunity for these added starts.
- The Islanders Rick DiPietro, who is on a conditioning stint with the team’s AHL squad, had stopped 13 of 14 shots over two periods tonight but was forced to leave in the 2nd period with minor “tightness”.
- When Buffalo’s own born and raised Patrick Kane returned to the city he encountered a less than friendly “home crowd” as many fans showered him with jeers. The Sabres trusted back-up goalie Patrick Lalime in a contest against a tough team and he came through for them, leading Buffalo to a 2-1 win.
- Ever since David Krejci returned from hip surgery, the Bruins seem to have found their game.
- He might need more maintenance days then he used to, but the Senators Daniel Alfredsson is still putting his younger teammates to shame with his excellent play.
- Jonas Gustavsson has rebounded from another heart scare with resolve and optimism, but his Maple Leafs teammate, Rickard Wallin, is anything but surprised. Leafs coach Ron Wilson sure is a fan of Alexander Ovechkin’s style of play.
- The risk/reward play of Mike Green continues as he made a costly error in the 3rd period which allowed the Hurricanes to tie the game, but he put home the OT goal to give the Capitals the victory.
- The Tampa Bay Lightning continue to struggle with the shootout, and last night’s loss in Colorado means they have dropped six of seven tiebreakers.
- The Panthers Scott Clemmensen expected it would be “weird” to take the ice Friday night and see the Devils logo on opposing jerseys. Florida’s game tonight against the Penguins at the Igloo will likely be the last trip the team makes to the venerable Pittsburgh Arena and it holds some great memories for the team.