The NHL season officially opened tonight, and it was an exciting one. Three of the games went to overtime and one game was within a goal. Hockey’s back baby!
New visitors: This is last nights news post. This morning’s Morning Musings can be found here.
In the news
- TSN Insider Bob McKenzie lists who is on the “hot seat” for this season
- The full details on Dany Heatleys new contract. Next up, Jason Spezza
- Gary Bettman is very busy at this time of year. Winnipeg is singled out as a city in which Bettman has had the most discussion for expansion. Notable quote by Commissioner Bettman: “It’s always fun to come to a game at the Air Canada Centre. It makes you feel like you’re in the centre of the universe.” He’s absolutely right Toronto IS the centre of the universe.
- Speaking of Gary Bettman, here is a nice Q&A with him via CBC.ca
- Nashville could be looking for a new buyer…again. Jim Balsilile have your blackberry ready, a call may be coming your way.
- Flyers GM John Stevens was active tonight as he inked Jim Dowd and Jesse Boulerice to one year deals.
Can I Get a Recap?
- Dany Heatley proves he was worth the cash, he scores 3 points including the OT winner in a victory over the Leafs. The Leafs top line of Blake, Sundin and Antropov was solid in their first regular season game together.
- The Red Wings failed to sell out their first regular season game since 1996 as they defeated the Anaheim Ducks on Jiri Hudlers shootout winner
- The Habs powerplay success of last year carries over in their 3-2 OT victory over the Carolina Hurricanes. Saku Koivu scored 2 PP goals including the OT winner.
- Paul Stastny shows no effects of a sophomore slump. He makes it rain hats in Denver as the Avs win a close one over the Stars 4-3.