Here is what team beat writers are saying this afternoon:
- Taylor Pyatt’s fiancee has been killed in a car accident in Jamaica. Terrible, terrible news. IC’s thoughts are with the Pyatt family.
- Corey Perry didn’t have much to say in response to Evgeni Nabokov calling him a “crybaby”. Nabokov may regret that comment if they meet in the first round.
- The Boston Globe with details on Tim Thomas’s contract extension. The Herald is saying it is a four year deal. $5 million average per season for the veteran netminder and, you know what, no one has worked harder than Thomas to get there. He deserves to be paid in the $5 million range. I am a little worried about that term here but the Bruins clearly wanted to get a deal done and Thomas wasn’t taking two years. You have to now assume that Tuukka Rask will be dealt, don’t you?
- LeBron James prevented the Sabres from practicing at the Verizon Center yesterday. The King has a lot of power.
- Dustin Boyd has been sent down to the AHL by the Flames. They need a d-man right now, so this move isn’t long-term.
- Matt Cullen not at practice for the Hurricanes today. This team is quietly on fire.
- No Rusty Klesla through the weekend for the Jackets. He is expected to return fairly soon.
- The Flames will be playing against the Wild tonight with only 16 skaters. Wow. Never mind the team is playing on the second night of a back-to-back against a desperate Minnesota squad.
- Brent Sutter has changed the stalls of the all the Devils players in the locker room. Anything goes when you’ve lost six in a row.