What team beat writers are saying this afternoon:
- Here is some video from Ducks practice yesterday. Don’t understand why tonight’s games are at the same time. Honestly, if you are a hockey fan and want to watch both games you can’t. Even if you PVR one game, because they overlap, the tickers/updates will ruin at least part of the other game for you.
- As David linked earlier, Tim Thomas has been nominated for the Vezina. Likely he wins, but Mason may give him a run for his money. Regardless, this is a great story in work ethic and perseverance. Good for Thomas. Also, for those who hate Don Cherry, he has been on the Thomas bandwagon for a while now, so give credit where credit is due.
- Predictions for tonight’s Flames/Blackhawks from the Calgary Herald. Prediction: Flames 3, Blackhawks 2.
- Who is outcoaching who in the NYR/Washington series? Critics said it was the other way around earlier in the series.
- The Penguins get a lot of offense from their defense. I don’t see this team making it out of the next round.
- Jeremy Roenick says Joe Thornton needs to be intense all the time. He’s 100% right.
- Jason Botchford wonders where Roberto Luongo is on the Vezina list? This is why I hate awards. They really don’t mean anything. You’d be hard pressed to find anyone who will tell you that Roberto Luongo isn’t the best goalie in the NHL right now.
- Shaone Morrison is claiming he didn’t bite Brandon Dubinsky. This series has really turned into a circus. I know lots of people like storylines and action, but I’d rather watch the Devils/Canes series any day of the week.
- Here is the Columbus perspective on the Vezina nominations, as Steve Mason is up for the award. What a terrific rookie season for the almost guaranteed Calder Trophy winner.
- Michael Russo on the Vezina and all things hockey. That Wild GM spot will be coveted because of the market, but as Russo said on the IC Radio Show last week, there is a lot of work to do with the Wild.