What beat writers are saying this afternoon:
- Looks like it will be Tomas Vokoun versus Jaroslav Halak at the Bell Centre tonight. Halak is good enough that the Habs don’t have to tire Carey Price out during the regular season.
- The Rangers have basically been ignoring the Sean Avery return hoopla. Good plan.
- The Capitals rolled out some new lines today at practice. Intersting combinations.
- No Chris Higgins or Andrei Kostitsyn tonight for the Habs. Two important contributors for Montreal but they have the offensive depth to withstand these losses for a little while.
- Bobby Holik has a broken pinky and will miss the next 3-4 weeks of action. He is the team’s fourth line center so the loss shouldn’t be too crucial.
- Radim Vrbata is checking back into the Lightning line-up for Tuesday’s game versus Atlanta after being a healthy scratch last game. They need him to start producing.
- P.J. Axelsson will miss tonight’s home opener versus Pittsburgh with muscle spasms. His loss will primarily be felt on the penalty kill.