Some news and notes from across the blogs:
Special Note: Be sure to tune into the IC radio season preview show tomorrow night with special guests Adam Proteau of The Hockey News, Eric Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail and Kevin Allen of USA Today starting at 7pm central thru to 10pm.
- NHL Fanhouse: Seat already warm for some coaches. I don’t think Joel Quenneville has anything to be worried about.
- Puck Daddy: ESPN re-affirms love of hockey. I, for one, am extremely excited to see the Gretzky movie.
- Globe on Hockey: Kings keeping one eye on Gretzky. Are we about to read another Great One to L.A. headline? Perhaps he will fulfill a role similar to what Mike Bossy is doing on Long Island.
- Working the Corners: Nothing coming today on cuts or captaincy — but McLellan does share his thoughts on Nabokov. Perhaps more games is better than less for Nabokov.
- Snapshots: Waiting for the NHLPA scuttlebutt to hit the fan. The PA is screwed up. Wonder what the consequences would be if Interim executive director Ian Penny and interim ombudsman Buzz Hargrove, who were on the 2.5 hour call at the beginning before being asked to leave the discussion while players continued, put the phone on silent…..
- Cult of Hockey: Islanders picked up the wrong Oilers forward (Reddox is a better player than Schremp). This kid needs a new start as Oiler nations has written him off.
- The Hockey News: Oilers know they need attitude adjustment to reach NHL playoffs in 2009-10. Looking at the West, it is going to be a tough road ahead.
- Canucks Hockey Blog: Will Shirokov break rookie points record?. Trivia Question: Does anyone know which Canuck currently holds said record?
- Russo’s Rants: Wild still won’t name a captain. Gotta expect they will name someone soon.
- The New York Rangers Blog: Rangers on Late Night with Letterman. Sean Avery should have a gem line or two.
- NHL Fanhouse: The John Tavares handbook. Even E from Entourage, a Long Island guy, chimes in.
- Capitals Insider: Ovechkin interviews Boudreau. If hockey doesn’t work out, he could always work in media.
- Lions in Winter: Side by side of Habs goaltending. Excellent as per usual assessment of what Montreal will be working with this season.
- Maple Leafs Hot Stove: Kinks in the system. It would be prudent to temper the excitement with some caution.
- Broad Street Hockey: Flyers fans confidence at an all time high. It appears that some pundits (including some writers here at IC) would agree with that assessment.
- Empty Netters: Penguins set roster. In the biggest surprise of Pens camp, both Guenin and Engelland were sent down as the Pens unexpectedly signed Martin Skoula to be their 7th defencemen.
- Canes Country: Is Eric Staal set to become a megastar? If Carolina is going to be successful, they are going to need him to be the #1 reason why.
- Maple Leafs Hot Stove: Stalberg lands top line role. Has been great all pre season and will look good on that first line.