Stanley Cup Final
Detroit Red Wings (2) versus Pittsburgh Penguins (4)
- There are a few special Red Wings that have been apart of the team’s Cup victories since 1997. Michael Rosenberg of the Detroit Free Press warns fans not to take the Wings’ success for granted. Last year he played in zero playoff games, but this year if the Wings hoist the Cup, Jonathan Ericsson will feel more of a direct contribution to the team’s success. In injury news, Pavel Datsyuk didn’t seem to be showing any ill-effects on Monday after playing his first game in a couple of weeks. Former Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman says he really admires this particular Red Wings team.
- Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review says Game 6 will be a defining moment for Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury. If the Penguins want to extend this series, they need a great performance from everyone on the roster, writes Dave Molinari. Ducks coach Randy Carlyle has some advice for the Penguins if they ask for it. Could Petr Sykora see his first finals action in Game 6?
- U.S. television ratings on Versus are up 42% over last year.
Teams that are not in the playoffs
- The Thrashers have re-signed center Marty Reasoner to a two-year deal.
- In other signing news, the Ducks have signed winger Mike Brown to a two-year extension.
- As linked yesterday, there will be no changes to the Hurricanes coaching staff for next season.
- In Columbus, Stefan Legein is going to get a clean slate from coach Ken Hitchcock and GM Scott Howson in 2009/10.
- Brent Sutter says he talks to Lou Lamoriello on a daily basis, but has yet to make up his mind as to whether he will return to coaching next season. However, Rich Chere is reporting that Sutter is expected to announce today that he will not return to Jersey next season.
- Former owner of the Islanders Roy Boe has sadly passed away.
- Apparently Ray Emery and the Flyers are still negotiating a contract and a deal has not yet been finalized.
- Jacques Lemaire has turned down an offer from the Lightning to be a team consultant.
- The Leafs are not going to bring back Curtis Joseph next season.
- Tim Wharnsby thinks Mike Babcock should be head coach of Canada’s 2010 team at the Olympics.
The Coyotes situation
- Could the ruling today force both sides to come to some sort of agreement?
- Here are the arguments both sides will be presenting in court today.
- Kevin McGran of the Toronto Star recaps what has happened so far in this case.
- Did you know the Leafs have made money over the Copps Coliseum before?
- Could this case take almost two years to come to a final resolution?
- The city and Jerry Moyes obviously disagree over the viability of the Coyotes franchise.
AHL Calder Cup Final
- Washington coach Bruce Boudreau thinks that playing in the AHL playoffs is a great learning experience for the organization’s young players.
- There is a lot riding on Game 5 for the Manitoba Moose franchise, writes Randy Turner. Sensing a tired group, Scott Arniel gave his players the day off on Monday. The Moose hope to use their experience to their advantage tonight.
**Remember that the IllegalCurve.com Radio Show is tomorrow night from 7pm-9pm Central time. Tomorrow night’s guests include James Mirtle from Globe & Mail and From The Rink.**