3rd Round Playoff Matchups
Pittsburgh Penguins (4) versus Carolina Hurricanes (6)
- The Penguins themselves are in awe of both Crosby and Malkin. Pittsburgh has held its own it the face-off circle this series. Good teams have that killer instinct, and that is exactly what the Penguins demonstrated last night. Joe Starkey of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review thinks the Penguins are better this season than last.
- “This isn’t going to be a four-game series,” said Hurricanes defenseman Tim Gleason after his team fell behind 3-0 in the series. Cam Ward has not been at his best in this series. The combination of Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby is proving to be overpowering.
Detroit Red Wings (2) versus Chicago Blackhawks (4)
- The Red Wings are going to do their best to get to Cristobal Huet. Dave Dye of the Detroit News thinks it is doubtful that Pavel Datsyuk will play today. Kris Draper is also doubtful. The aftermath of Niklas Kronwall’s hit should make this series more heated. Remember when Chris Chelios said he’d never play for Detroit?
- The Blackhawks are still mad about Kronwall’s hit. Even though he was hit hard, the Hawks are hoping Havlat can play today. If Martin Havlat cannot dress today, Colin Fraser is expected to take his place. Here is an interesting profile of Hawks forward Patrick Sharp. “What’s going on in Chicago is fantastic,” said NBC boss Dick Ebersol.
Teams that are not in the playoffs:
- Here is Kevin Paul Dupont’s Sunday notes article.
- Bruins defenseman Aaron Ward has been taken aback by the harsh feelings towards him in Carolina.
- In Bucky Gleason’s Inside the NHL, he discusses Scotty Bowman’s time in Chicago.
- Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch is calling for an annual best GM trophy to be presented at the NHL Awards Show.
- In his Wild Insider, Michael Russo tells us that new Panthers GM Chuck Fletcher really values draft picks. Lou Nanne thinks the Chuck Fletcher hire is a great one. Fletcher already has permission to interview Todd Richards for the Wild head coaching job.
- Larry Brooks says the Devils should let Brent Sutter out of his contract.
- Rich Chere talks about the falling cap levels expected the next two seasons.
- Jim Matheson wonders whether Kevin Dineen could be the next coach of the Oilers?
- Having blown a 3-0 series lead, and now only being up 3-2, the pressure is on the Manitoba Moose, writes Tim Campbell.