Stanley Cup Final
Detroit Red Wings (2) versus Pittsburgh Penguins (4)
- The Red Wings are not exactly happy that television scheduling needs have given them less time off than usual this year. Mitch Albom chimes in with his take on this odd scheduling. With so little time between games, the Wings are just trying to get some rest right now. He made the summer switch, so Marian Hossa is hoping his move to Motown will pay off. Helene St. James breaks down the series from all angles. Ken Holland says he expects Nicklas Lidstrom to play tomorrow. Bob Wojnowski is right when he says this series will be a classic.
- Sidney Crosby is confident that this year will be different than last. The Penguins have no problems meeting the Red Wings when they are a little injured. Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette thinks the early start to the final is a good thing. David Shoalts analyzes the two opposing netminders. What if Sidney Crosby went to college?
That are not in the playoffs
- Doctors are trying to figure out what’s wrong with Pierre Lacroix’s leg, but luckily the team is saying the problems are not life-threatening.
- The Blue Jackets organization is in a fight over beer tax.
- Flyers winger Simon Gagne has underwent successful hip surgery.
- After a poor season, Vincent Lecavalier is looking to get into the best shape of his life this summer, writes Damian Cristodero.
- It is official, Bob Cole will not be calling the Red Wings/Penguins series for CBC.
- Today is combine day for the NHL prospects.
- Bruce Arthur of the National Post thinks steroids in is inevitable. (Writer’s note: I disagree. Again, I don’t think the benefits are there for hockey players–aside from goons.)
- The lawyers for Jerry Moyes now want a new emergency hearing by June 3.
- Jim Balsillie is going to unveil his plan for renovating Copps Coliseum today.
- Apparently the Coyotes organization is set to lose approximately $17 million over the next few weeks.
Calder Cup Final
- The Washington Capitals organization doesn’t lack for goaltending, as Hershey Bears starter Michael Neuvirth is certainly making a good name for himself.
- The Manitoba Moose would be surprised if the team doesn’t sell out the entire MTS Centre for Game 1 of the Calder Cup.
- Randy Turner tells Moose fans to enjoy watching Cory Schneider and Cody Hodgson because they will be starring in the NHL very soon.