Here are the morning papers for Wednesday the 3rd of September:
- With Joe Sakic returning, Avalanche GM Francois Giguere believes his team can be a contender. Woody Paige of the Denver Post runs through Sakic’s impressive career accomplishments.
- Jay Bouwmeester has become used to the revolving door that is the Panthers organization, writes Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal.
- According to Bryan Murray, the agent for Andrej Meszaros told him that Jason Smith was not a good enough defense partner for his client. (Writer’s note: That is a serious lack of respect.)
- Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun does not understand why people are getting on Mats Sundin for taking time to make his decision on a return to hockey.
- Vancouver GM Mike Gillis still has hopes of signing Sundin, writes Elliot Pap.
- It appears that Jimmy Howard will begin next season in Grand Rapids of the AHL, explains Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press.
- Steve Gorten of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel provides the particulars on new Panthers acquistion Bryan McCabe.
- Damien Cox of the Toronto Star says the McCabe/Van Ryn trade was a bad one for the Leafs. Meanwhile, Kevin McGran of the Star reviews the Leafs’ defensive makeover this summer.
For Illegal Curve, I’m Richard Pollock.