Here are the morning papers for Saturday the ninth of August:
- Doug Risebrough is heading over to Slovakia to scout a tournament, but while he’s there he is planning a face-to-face talk with Wild star Marian Gaborik.
- The Panthers have signed center Janis Sprukts to a one-year deal.
- The Oilers have promoted Rick Olczyk to assistant GM and Director of Hockey Operations/Legal Affiars.
- Carey Price’s father, Jerry, is looking forward to the NHL season getting underway, writes Blair McCarron.
- As Lance Hornby of the Toronto Sun tells us, NHLPA director Paul Kelly doesn’t think having the KHL around is such a bad thing.
- In light of Richard Zednik’s scary neck injury last season, Chris Gentilviso of the Miami Herald has a very interesting article on neck guards.
- Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News has more details on the Teppo Numminen signing.
- John Tortorella is no longer a candidate to coach the Islanders, writes Greg Logan.
- According to Kevin McGran of the Toronto Star, Bryan McCabe is beginning to consider the option of being traded.
For Illegal Curve, I’m Richard Pollock.