Here are the morning papers for the Western Conference playoff match ups:
Detroit versus Nashville:
- The Wings didn’t lack for shots on net last night, writes Mitch Albom. Detroit rebounded from a heart-breaking late third period goal to score within the first two minutes of overtime. The Red Wings got a huge break last night when Jason Arnott was pulled out of the Game 5 line up with a mystery illness.
- After last night’s tough defeat, the Predators have their backs up against the wall for a must-win Game 6 on Sunday. They sure did not lose because of their goaltending as Dan Ellis turned aside an astounding 52 shots last night. Barry Trotz is hoping to have both David Legwand and Jason Arnott back for Game 6.
San Jose versus Calgary:
- Ryane Clowe has been that good for the Sharks in their playoff series versus the Flames, writes Ann Killion. There has been no word on the status of Kyle McLaren for tomorrow’s Game 6.
- Jarome Iginla has been absolutely tremendous but he needs some help if the Flames want to play a Game 7, writes Eric Francis. Here are some of the stats for the Flames’ “secondary” scorers, courtesy of Randy Sportak.
Minnesota versus Colorado:
- Marian Gaborik knows the pressure is on him to extend this series, writes Michael Russo. Jim Souhan of the Star Tribune says the Wild’s fighters have helped the team win fights but not games. The Wild doesn’t play well with the lead, so maybe they are in the perfect situation.
- The Avalanche have to treat tonight’s game like their own Game 7, writes Dave Krieger. The Avs need to continue their strong play on the power play.
Anaheim versus Dallas:
- The defending Cup champs are sure not going out without a fight. J.S. Giguere put any goaltending controversy to bed as he was the best Duck on the ice last night. Here is a minute-by-minute recap of last night’s game.
- The stats sure didn’t mean much after watching last night’s game, writes Tim Cowlishaw. The Stars are hoping some home-cooking at the American Airlines Center will be the last they see of the Ducks this season.
For Illegal Curve, I’m Richard Pollock.
Email any thoughts, ideas or suggestions to email@example.com