Here are the morning papers for the Eastern Conference playoff match ups:
Montreal versus Boston:
- It doesn’t look likely that Patrice Bergeron will get the okay to suit up for the Bruins tonight, writes Pat Hickey. The pressure is on the Habs to prove they have the killer instinct tonight. The Canadiens are making their fans sweat this one out, writes Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette.
- Forget momentum, it is just a winner-take-all games tonight, writes Steve Conroy. The Bruins have been playing seventh games for a while now, writes Fluto Shinwaza. Even with all the competition going on between them, the Bruins have much respect for their opponent. In an unknown story, Tim Thomas overcame an annoying mask problem last game to lead the Bruins to victory.
Pittsburgh versus Ottawa:
- Sergei Gonchar does not seem to think the Senators were as much of a push-over as everyone is making them out to be. The Penguins are still waiting on an opponent, however, that could be decided tonight if the Bruins upset the Habs.
- From yesterday’s paper, here are Bruce Garrioch’s ratings of each and every Senators player this season.
Washington versus Philadelphia:
- Alexander Ovechkin is used to post-season play now and will be looking to be the difference when the Capitals vistit Philadelphia for Game 6 tonight. Bruce Boudreau’s line changes have served the Capitals well, writes Corey Masisak.
- R.J. Umberger is going to try and pick up the slack for the injured Mike Knuble on the Flyers‘ power play. Knuble will be replaced by either Riley Cote or Steve Downie. The Flyers will be treating tonight’s Game 6 at home as if it is a Game 7, writes Tim Panaccio.
New Jersey versus New York Rangers:
- In yesterday’s NY Post, Mark Everson suggests the Devils finally open their wallet and spend some money.
- Rangers coaches are pushing their players to attack so far this playoffs, writes Larry Brooks. Ryan Callahan has been a different player for the Rangers since his demotion to Hartford of the AHL at mid-season.
The morning papers for the Western Conference playoff match ups are soon to follow…
For Illegal Curve, I’m Richard Pollock.
Email any thoughts, ideas or suggestions to email@example.com