- The Leafs are not only after netminder Jonas Gustavsson, but they are also after his teammate Rickard Wallin.
- In Montreal, there was a fan rally to keep Alexei Kovalev a Hab.
- Meanwhile, the Blackhawks are waiting for a ruling by the NHL/NHLPA to determine if a filing issue will make a number of significant players free agents.
- Chad LaRose is officially no longer a free agent, after he signed a two-year, $3.4 million contract with the Hurricanes.
- The free agent contract Steve Sullivan signed won’t be covered by insurance, writes John Glennon.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed forward Chris Connor to a one-year deal. The Penguins have also signed defenseman Chris Lee.
- Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province thinks something is fishy about Mattias Ohlund’s contract being signed so soon after free agency began.
Salary Arbitration News
- Bruins defeneseman Matt Hunwick has filed for salary artbitration.
- In Buffalo, Clarke MacArthur has also accepted salary arbitration.
- Hurricanes forward Tuomo Ruutu has opted for the arbitration process.
- Marc Methot of the Blue Jackets has decided to accept arbitration.
- Amazingly, Red Wings GM Ken Holland has never had a player’s salary determined by arbitration under his watch, writes George Sipple. Will Jiri Hudler end that streak?
- New Wild center Kyle Brodziak has opted for the arbitration process, but that doesn’t mean both sides can’t work something out beforehand.
- Travis Zajac is one of the more significant names that filed for arbitration.
- Little-known Matt Smaby of the Lightning has filed for arbitration, as well.
- After a rocky start to the season, Kyle Wellwood feels confident enough that his play will earn him a raise in pay via salary arbitration.
- Habs center Tomas Plekanec has filed for arbitration after a poor 2008/09 campaign.
- Dan Barnes of the Edmonton Journal is late to the party but he still takes time to call Dany Heatley a selfish hockey player. You think that’s harsh? The people of Ottawa think that is tame.
- Wayne Gretzky was caught off-guard by a question posed to him by Toronto sports radio show host Bob McCown.
- Talk about a dream coming true for Blackhawks seventh round selection Paul Phillips.
- Looking to next season, Stars netminder Marty Turco admits he needs to play less games next season.
- Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette answers a reader’s question regarding the expected drop in the salary cap next season.
- The Oilers are looking to add an Oklahoma-based farm team.