- The Ducks and Brett Festerling have agreed to terms on a two-year, two-way contract.
- The NCAA has scheduled an outdoor game for Fenway Park, one week after the NHL’s Winter Classic.
- The Sabres decided not to re-sign Andrew Peters, but they did add toughness on Thursday with the signing of Jeff Cowan.
- Scott Cruickshank looks back at the Team Canada orientation camp from 2001 and the key stories that were much talked about.
- Steve MacFarlane of the Calgary Sun provides his opinion on a number of key Team Canada roster decisions.
- Bruce Dowbiggen tells us that the Team Canada orientation camp signals the end of summer for the Canadian hockey reporting media.
- Patrick Kane has pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor charges filed against him, writes Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune.
- In a cost-cutting move, the Avalanche has gone to a one-man radio booth, explains Adrian Dater.
- Not surprisingly, the Red Wings are all over the U.S. national television schedule.
- Dany Heatley deserves to be at the Team Canada orientation camp, says Steve Yzerman.
- Florida Panthers tickets will be cheaper to buy than they were last season.
- Alex Tanguay is considering a contract offer from the Minnesota Wild, reports Michael Russo of the Star Tribune.
- The Devils have signed five minor-league players to new contracts.
- If Dany Heatley does not get traded before training camp, he has announced that he will show up in Ottawa, writes Ken Warren.
- If Heatley does return to Ottawa, Senators GM Bryan Murray has no concerns about his work ethic.
- The Senators have signed netminder Andy Chiodo to a one-year, two way deal.
- Patrick Marleau is playing it cool when it comes to questions about losing his long-time captaincy with the Sharks.
- There will be skating at Maple Leaf Garden soon, except it won’t be hockey.
- By deciding to speak to the media today, Dany Heatley is finally making the right move, opines Damien Cox.
- In good news, Ernie “Punch” McLean was found alive in British Columbia.
- Next season will be an important one for young speedster Mason Raymond, explains Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province.
NHL Morning Papers
NHL Morning Papers (Friday Edition): Dany Heatley deserves to be invited to orientation camp, Wild is talking to Alex Tanguay and Patrick Marleau says he is okay with losing captaincy
This morning in the papers, there is lots of talk about Team Canada’s orientation camp, rumors of Alex Tanguay possibly heading to Minnesota, reaction to the report that Dany Heatley will address the media, reaction from Patrick Marleau regarding his lost captaincy and much more.