(Posted by Drew, on behalf of Neil)
Here are the morning papers for the Eastern Conference:
- The newly acquired Rich Peverley was instrumental in the Thrashers’ 7-2 demolishing of the Predators, with Johan Hedberg still thinking that his team can make the post-season dance. Think again there Johan.
- The Boston Bruins were beat last night by a late Alexander Semin goal at the Verizon Centre. In other news, B’s defenceman Dennis Wideman was hurting after a knee-on-knee collision with Ovechkin, Two teams that can possibly meet in the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals played a playoff like game last night.
- Despite the Sabres’ 3-1 win of the Hurricanes last night, defenceman Teppo Numminen went down after getting struck in the jaw with a puck. After coming back after his heart ailment, nothing will keep Teppo out of the lineup for too long. The new Sabres lines of Pominville – Roy – Hecht, MacArthur – Gaustad –Stafford, and Vanek – Connolly – Kotalik seemed to work just fine.
- In their 3-1 loss, the ‘Canes looked desperate to end a four game losing streak, but to no avail. Next up is the Leafs, would should be a good opportunity to snatch a big “W”.
- With last night’s win of the lowly Lightning, the Panthers have now positioned themselves in the eighth and final playoff spot. It is January. Get back to me when it’s April and then we can talk playoff positioning. I’m not even sure that the Panthers’ franchise will make it to April. Further, Rostislav Olesz is slated to meet with specialist to talk about his groin strain. Is a happy ending a part of this “special” consultation about his groin? Details to follow.
- Despite a comeback from the Sens, the Habs won in a shootout last night at Scotiabank Place thanks to a nifty goal by Maxime Lapierre. Did you know Lang is leading this team in points?
- The Devils won 3-1 last night against the Isles, with Yann Danis between the pipes for New York. Was Goldberg from the Mighty Ducks not available? You couldn’t have paid me $100 to watch this game.
- Despite losing Dubielewicz to the Blue Jackets on a waiver claim, the Islanders like Danis.
- The Sens didn’t give up last night, and at least managed to get a point out of the contest versus the Habs.
- Flyer’s centre Danny Briere will be joining the big club soon, after his conditioning stint in the AHL. Let’s see how long he can remain healthy for.
- To quote Rick Tocchet about the loss to the Panthers: “This was a big loss for us, it was kind of like our playoff game.” This team is a joke.
- That Caps are probably the most exciting team to watch, and it showed during last night’s win over the Bruins. Playoff excitement came early last night.