Here are the morning papers for Monday, April 13:
Boston Bruins (1) vs. Montreal Canadiens (8)
- The Bruins will spend a day reflecting on their magical season before turning their attention to the Canadiens.
- Here is the schedule for the Bruins’ first round match-up against the Habs.
- Bruins writer Fluto Shinzawa on Tim Thomas and performance bonuses.
- Montreal Gazette writer Pat Hickey on why history favours the Habs in their opening round match-up.
- Highlights and lowlights of the Habs’ 100th season.
Washington Capitals (2) vs. New York Rangers (7)
- Ryan O’Halloran profiles Nicklas Backstrom.
- Here is a playoff preview from the Washington times of the Capitals-Rangers series.
- The Rangers erased three separate deficits in yesterday’s win over the Flyers.
- In order for the Rangers to succeed, Scott Gomez must be at the top of his game
New Jersey Devils (3) vs. Carolina Hurricanes (6)
- Here is a preview of the Devils-Canes series.
- Martin Brodeur may not be playing his best hockey right now, but at least he is well rested.
- The Hurricanes and Devils will meet in the playoffs for the fourth time in nine years.
- Carolina and New Jersey have no shortage of Stanley Cup rings on either team
- Here is a preview of the Pens-Flyers series.
- Evgeni Malkin is focused on the playoffs.
- Finally, the Flyers are healthy.
- The Flyers made things more difficult on themselves with yesterday’s loss to the Rangers.
San Jose Sharks (1) vs. Anaheim Ducks (8)
- David Pollak has questions worth asking about the Sharks-Ducks series.
- Here is a preview of the Sharks-Ducks series.
- The Ducks defense will be tested by a balanced Shark attack.
- Helene Elliot of the Los Angeles Times discusses the Ducks chances of advancing past the first round.
Detroit Red Wings (2) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (7)
- The Wings know they will be facing a hot goalie in Columbus’ Steve Mason.
- Detroit limps into the playoffs after losing their home and home series to the Blackhawks.
- The Blue Jackets are looking forward to playing their biggest rival.
- According to Coach Ken Hitchcock, if the Blue Jackets are to win, they must reduce their penalties.
Vancouver Canucks (3) vs. St. Louis Blues (6)
- The Canucks will be in for a tough, physical series against the Blues writes Jim Jamieson of the Vancouver Province.
- Here is the playoff schedule for the Canucks-Blues series.
- The playoffs were a dream just a few weeks ago, but with their win over the Avs yesterday, the Blues secured the sixth seed.
- Here is the tale of the tape for the Canucks-Blues series.
Chicago Blackhawks (4) vs. Calgary Flames (5)
- Who would have thought injury prone Martin Havlat would lead the Hawks in scoring?
- After yesterday’s win over the high-flying Wings, the Blackhawks will have momentum heading into the playoffs.
- Here is the schedule for the Blackhawks-Flames series as well as the other series’.
- Calgary Flames players are happy the regular season is finally over.
- Now that it’s the offseason, the Panthers organization must figure out what to do with Jay Bouwmeester.
- Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff will coach Team Canada at the world championships.
- A numerical look at the Senators’ season reveals their struggles.
- The season is over for the Leafs, but Brian Burke is busy trying to sign Matt Gilroy and Jonas Gustavsson.
- Damien Cristodero reviews the Lightning’s dismal season.
- Will Rick DiPietro be ready for training camp next year?
- The Wild finally started to play well at the end of the season, but it was too late.
- The Predators are staying home this spring because of a lack of offense.
- Oilers defenseman Taylor Chorney made the most of his brief time with the club.
- A disappointing season + an economic downturn = lack of Dallas Stars ticket sales, writes Tim Cowlishaw.
- The Coyotes showed promise this year, but had too many young players.
- The have the cap space, but will the Kings make a free-agent splash in the offseason?
- The Avalanche’s 1-0 loss to the Blues yesterday was their 42nd one-goal game of the year.