The Jets calmed the storm surge in Carolina as they will leave Raleigh with a massive 8-1 victory over the Hurricanes which improves them to 40-23-4 on the season and they regain 1st spot in the Central.
For those who would like to take a deeper dive into the advanced stats here are the results from tonight’s game via Natural Stat Trick.
– Hurricanes came out quickly as they tried to seize the early momentum;
– But speaking of quickness Nikolaj Ehlers tore up the ice and Kevin Hayes buried the rebound to make it 1-0;
– Shortly thereafter Patrik Laine took it from the Jets zone and then set up Blake Wheeler to give Wpg a 2-0 lead;
– On a 4 on 4 Ben Chiarot ripped a shot top corner off a perfect pass by Kyle Connor to make it 3-0;
– Jets had three goals on their first eight shots;
– Nikolaj Ehlers got the favour returned after Kevin Hayes spotted him and his rocket made it 4-0;
– Jets had a 4-0 lead after 20 minutes with the Hurricanes holding a 12-11 shot edge.
– Not much of anything doing in the middle frame;
– Andrew Copp got rewarded with a late goal after he buried a rebound off a Jack Roslovic shot to make it 5-0;
– Shots were 10-10 in the middle frame which meant Carolina maintained their one shot edge overall at 22-1 after 40.
– Best chance to score came when Tyler Myers shot it from behind hit net but Kulikov’s skate stopped the goal;
– After a Lowry penalty ended the Hurricanes got on the board when a tipped shot beat Brossout;
– On the power play Kyle Connor made a great move to give the Jets a 6-1 lead;
– Andrew Copp scored his second of the game as he put home a Roslovic rebound (again) to give the Jets a 7-1 lead;
– To add insult to injury Adam Lowry scored with 19 seconds left to make it 8-1.
– Blake Wheeler now has seven goal in his last four games. His points streak is up to eight games (7G 8A).
– Only three players (Scheifele, Tanev & Niku) didn’t get a point but it was a total team win.
Coach Maurice scrum topics: Assessment of the game. Chemistry between Hayes and Ehlers. Power play goal by Connor. Blake Wheeler with the hot stick. Laine driving into the zone. Play of the Jets fourth line. Blocked shots. Myers almost putting it in behind Brossout.
Audio courtesy of TSN 1290 Winnipeg.
The Jets are scheduled to practice on Saturday in Washington at Capital One Arena as they prepare to conclude this four-game road trip on Sunday against the defending Stanley Cup champion Capitals. Kick start your day with the AM Jets papers which go live at 7 am on illegalcurve.com.